Desert Heights Charter Schools is always accepting interest and enrollment forms. Our program assures that each family meets the Coyote requirements and that they have all the Information needed to enroll. Please review items below to start your journey!
Submit a Pre-Enrollment Application to add your child’s name to the waiting list, and we will contact you when a classroom seat is available. Completing the online form does not obligate your child to attend Desert Heights Charter Schools, but it does reserve your spot in line so that you can make a decision when a spot comes open. Please complete a separate application for each child in the family, including siblings of current students.
- Per Arizona Education Code 15-821 (C), districts and charter schools may establish policies for the early admission of kindergarten and first grade students. According to our Governing Board’s policy, we do not admit first grade students who are not six by September 1st of their first-grade year unless the student has completed kindergarten in another school and has been promoted to the first grade. Documentation from the previous school is required.
- Our Governing Board’s policy also allows for kindergarten readiness testing prior to the beginning of each school year. To qualify for readiness testing, potential kindergarten students must turn five by September 30th of their kindergarten year. There is a $30 nonrefundable testing fee. We accept cash or money orders for this testing. Beginning on the first day of school, we only admit kindergarten students who were five by September 1st of that school year or who were enrolled and are transferring from a kindergarten program elsewhere. Documentation from the previous school is required in the latter case.
- Age requirements for all other students are outlined in the related Governing Board policy available in the office.
- Parents interested in enrolling a new student at a Desert Heights’ school, may enroll online using the button below. The online registration includes a checklist of required items specific to each grade level. Registration and additional checklist items need to be uploaded or submitted to the front office to be considered complete. Students 18 years of age and older can enroll themselves in high school.
- Desert Heights Schools makes it a practice not to get involved in familial or custody issues. Teachers and/or staff will not write letters on behalf of any parent for character requests. We do require copies of custody agreements with specific parental rights be on file so that we are in the best position to adhere to court ordered decrees. Any time there are changes to custody agreements or orders of protection, the parent/guardian must notify the school and provide copies immediately.
- In accordance with A.R.S. § 15-802(B) school districts and charter schools are required to obtain and maintain verifiable documentation of Arizona residency upon enrollment in an Arizona public school. The residency of a student is determined by the residency of the parent or guardian with whom the student lives.
- The documentation required by A.R.S. § 15-802 must be provided each time a student enrolls in a school district or charter school in this state and reaffirmed during the district or charter’s annual registration process via the district or charter’s annual registration form. The documentation supporting Arizona residency should be maintained according to the school’s records retention schedule.
- In addition to the above requirements, homeschooled students will be required to do the following prior to finalizing enrollment:
- Provide the school with a copy of the affidavit of intent to homeschool and details regarding the homeschool program used (e.g., name, enrollment date, etc.) along with a copy of any applicable state testing scores.
- Complete an assessment test and meet with the school to determine grade placement
Priority enrollment for continuing students begins early in the second semester of each school year. Priority enrollment is also accepted at the same time for siblings of currently enrolled students. Desert Heights Preschool students will be given priority enrollment. After priority enrollment rollover ends, the open-enrollment period begins with new applications accepted during the designated window which are then entered into the lottery in the beginning of the year. Any students who submit their applications after the expiration of the open-enrollment period will be ordered on a first-come first-served basis.
- From early spring until August, we continue to accept enrollment applications on a first come, first serve basis until all spaces are full. We will continue to offer placement as we become aware of classroom openings. We ask that all of our families, new and returning, do their best to let us know if their school plans change as soon as possible. Our goal is that every student in every grade would be able to participate in the first day of school with their new classmates.
- Open Enrollment takes place early in the second semester. Any current year waitlisted student must complete the online enrollment application for future year enrollment consideration. Applications do not rollover from year to year. Post Open Enrollment, applications submitted after the open-enrollment period, are placed in a lottery. Desert Heights Charter Schools may not accept children that are currently pending expulsion, or have been expelled from Desert Heights or another school. (A.R.S. 15-184)
- Re-Enrollment of currently enrolled students who plan to return the following academic school year for the next grade level at the same academy takes place in late Spring. Any student that has not provided a response by the deadline will be noted in our system as "Not Returning" for the future school year and the student could risk being placed on a waiting list. (does not apply to students in exit grades)