Supply & Literature Lists
This resource area is designed to provide families with access to commonly referenced documentation. Please contact the front office if you are unable to locate any necessary information.
School supplies should be delivered to the school on or before the student's first day of school. At DHPA, community supplies should be purchased and returned to the school or families can alternatively choose to donate money towards these shared items and let the school do the shopping. 5th-12th grade students will additionally receive individual supply lists identified on the class syllabus distributed the first day of school.
Click the grade level supply list below for additional details and contact the front office if you have any questions. Please visit the preschool website for program details.
5th-8th Grade Literature
All 5th through 8th grade students will be reading literature books throughout the school year and require a personal copy of the book being used for each module.
5th Grade Literature List 2020-2021
- Thunder Rolling in the Mountain by Scott O’Dell
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- A River Between Us by Richard Peck
- The Boys War by Jim Murphy
- We are the Ship: "The Story of Negro League Baseball" by Kadir Nelson
6th Grade Literature List 2020-2021
- Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
- The Odyssey by Gillian Cross and Neil Packer
- The Ramayana: "The Divine Loophole" by Sanjay Patel
- Blood on the River: "James Town in 1607" by Elisa Carbone
- Written In Bone: "Buried Lives of Jamestown" by Sally Walker
- Shipwrecked at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong
- I Am Malala (Young Readers Edition) by Malala Yousafzai
7th Grade Literature List 2020-2021
- Castle Diary by Richard Platt
- Canterbury Tales by Geraldine McCaughrean
- The Midwife’s Apprentice by Karen Cushman
- Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston
- Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac
- Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
- American Plague: "The True and Terrifying Account of Yellow Fever" by Jim Murphy
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
8th Grade Literature List 2020-2021
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
- Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare (Folger Version)
- Claudette Colvin by Phillip Hoose
9th-12th Grade Literature
High School courses cover seminal texts from both American and British literature that is provided through the course currciulum as well as exposure through the summer reading program. During the school year, all students will be provided the electronic resources needed for literature needed in English 1-4 courses.
Desert Heights partners with Thrifty Joes for our students required literature for the year. We are excited to announce that Thrifty Joe's now has launched an online website for our students to purchase their literature from! Please use the instructions below to get your students literature for the year!
- At Thrifty Joe's select Student Reading > Desert Heights
- Select the student's grade level
- The books for that grade level will appear. Just select the desired books and add to cart.
- During checkout, the coupon code DESERTHTS20 must be used to get Desert Heights special pricing. The discount only applies to the books on the reading list.
- An option for Free Local Delivery will appear after entering shipping information. The books will be delivered to the student at the school.